Friday 4 June 2010

Get the Mod look!


Hello everyone :). Over the last week, I've been searching high and low all over the internet for a prom dress for my end of year ball, meaning I've probably seen almost every dress on the internet by now (almost sounds like I'm complaining... but I'm really not - couldn't imagine a better way to procrastinate!). Anyway, whilst looking through billions of dresses, I amassed a little pile of mod-style ones that I couldn't help but put in my 'favourites' folder. So I thought I might as well show you all, because they're rather beautiful (if a little expensive).

Of course, the peter-pan collar was an inevitable addition to the list of 60s mod style! So to kick off... two beautiful examples of the classic collared dress. I couldn't resist adding this TBA one, with its beautiful hand-made collar and luxurious silky fabric - although the price tag makes me want to cry! This YUKI one is a cheaper alternative, and just as charming :).


And some more beautiful dresses! The one on the left is probably one I could just about get away with for the prom itself (obviously hem-lines are rising from the traditional below the knee protocol)... or maybe even the Dorothy Perkins one? Hmm! But my favourite is without a doubt the middle one - just so 'Biba'!
Aaaand, of course, some parkas! Unfortunately I couldn't find any fishtail ones, although I'm sure there are some on eBay. The Urban Outfitters one is quite effective though with its army design.
And finally some accessories (and shoes). I had to include the Cheryl Cole eyelashes because they're the most Mod. In fact, I hate to admit it, but I really love her style sometimes - she sometimes does look like she just stepped out of the 60s! I'm going to have to get myself a pair of false eyelashes, even if its just for dressing up :) hehe. I also couldn't resist these sunglasses...

I should be back soonish with a post about an exciting gift my boyfriend bought for me :)... aah, can't wait to show you all!

In the meantime... which dress is your favourite?

Sadie xxx

24 comments:

Mauranne said...

I love the first one and the yumi from asos! and the white sunglasses is s nice!! love MAU

Jeps said...

The Dorothy Perkins dress looks amaaazing. The color, and the sleeves, and the details...!

Iris / London Fashion Diary said...

I really like the Topshop one with the peter pan collar.. but maybe you could make your own prom dress? I'm sure it would look amazing plus you'll have the one you really want and that nobody else will have!

xxx Iris

inanenglishaccent said...

I love how you pick out items, it's so fun!
anyway, my favourite HAS to be the Urban Outfitters one, I'm in LOVE with it, just not the price tag!
much love

Unknown said...

Lovely dresses - i like the peter pan collars best :]
Panda xxx

soph // and other things said...

All lovely items. That Ubran Outfitters dress is divine!

sophiemakesthings said...

Ah!I had a problem last year finding the right prom dress... especially with the prices of all the especially nice ones :) I love that TBA dress, I'm always drawn to peter pan collars! (Infact, if you ever need one for making, I found 10x lace peter pan collars for sewing onto things on ebay for £1.99, just type in 'lace collar'!) With all your sewing experience and talent, you should make yourself a prom dress! :) xxx

theflawlet said...

I love the mod style, simply stunning!
I really like Urban Outfitters but also the Dorothy Perkins dress! :)

Rooj said...

Must be the peter pan collar urban outfitters one, it's uber cute!!!
IWANTONE

xoxo

Chloë, Wardrobe Quarry said...

great post. Lots of cool finds.

Amber said...

i have the TBA peter pan collar, and it is REALLY beautiful and i feel amazing wearing it (i also brought for my prom) but the fabric is so so so fragile, and i just feel like it's very easy to tear or damage. and stains really dont come out of it! so i guess if you wanted something really special and amazing, that's the right dress, but from a practical level its not great :/ xx

Anonymous said...

That first dress is gorgeous! Great post

SophieSweetVintage said...

They are all fabulous, but I do love the Yuki dress :) Can't wait to see your outfit!

Ella said...

i love all the dresses but i thinkyou should go for that dorothy perkins one for prom, i love it! but like someone else said, why not make your own? all the stuff you make is always so nice :) xoxo

Samantha said...

I love the navy dress - the sheer sleeves look beautiful!

patty said...

That Doroth Perkins dress is absolutely gorgeous! I had my leavers' ball 3 years ago, and I went for a 50s look. :) I can't wait to see your prom outfit! xx

Zoë said...

honestly, i prefer the YUKI one ;d
xx

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love mods? Rockers I guess..?
The Yumi one is amazing!

Georgie said...

Love the Blue one from Dorothy Perkins!
xx

Anonymous said...

i have always adored your blog, sadie. x

Gillian said...

The Dorothy Perkins dress is amazing! I love the detail on the cuffs, plus navy is one of my favourite colours. :)

Cherry said...

I really like the Topshop dress!

Anonymous said...

just found this
thought you'd like it! :)
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=59925&parent_category_rn=42317&productId=1788838&langId=-1

faye said...

I love how you putso much thought into what you want to wear! My favourite dress has got to be the £55 dorothy perkins one
aaah I had prom last year, it was amazing
Xx